commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject AW: AW: [releasing] SVN Tag creeated by maven
Date Wed, 13 May 2009 22:27:36 GMT

You are right, but maybe we mix up two things:

a) In almost all other SCMs (except SVN) a tag is a 'reference' to a specific version. In
SVN it's a copy (virtually a readonly branch) so you cannot have multiple tags on the same
revision. -> the rettagging isn't valid because it's _not_ physically the same.

b) for SVN it's imho perfectly ok to delete a copy which is erronous, because you don't touch
trunk here. So a RC which never got deployed to another area than staging may imho safely
be deleted/rollbacked.

Maybe a mixed scenario would work. Doing development, calling a X-RC-[1-n] if all is ok, do
a X release:prepare release:stage, call a vote on that stage, if it passes do a release:perform.
That should combine the best parts of both processes, wdyt?

LieGrue,
strub

----- Urspr√ľngliche Mail ----