commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [cli] New Parser available
Date Sat, 30 May 2009 21:38:29 GMT
James Ring a écrit :

> I think partial matching should be disabled by default. While a neat
> feature to reduce typing, this behaviour will probably come as a
> surprise to people because it is not found in most programs. Also, if
> an option is not completely specified, I know I'd like the program to
> crash rather than run but do something that I don't expect.

I believe a lot a GNU tools implement the partial matching for the long
options. For example "ls --col" is equivalent to "ls --color". Same
thing for mysql. But I haven't seen an application supporting the
partial matching with long options using a single dash ("java -ver"
doesn't work). I think I'll disable this case by default.

Emmanuel Bourg