commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] fix site doc version so it agrees with release [was: [compress] Two issues with releasing the release]
Date Sun, 24 May 2009 06:30:06 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 6:14 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 22/05/2009, Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 7:08 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>  > On 22/05/2009, Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>  >> > Another minor glitch I noticed just now. All pages seem to include
>>>  >>  > green "1.1-SNAPSHOT" in the grey headline, which may come in
via the
>>>  >>  > generating style sheet or an ant property (I didn't check how
the site
>>>  >>  > is generated).
>>>  >>
>>>  >>
>>>  >> Thanks, but it looks like "know issue":
>>>  >>
>>>  >>  http://wiki.apache.org/commons/CreatingReleases :
>>>  >>
>>>  >>  "E.3 Deploy the Site
>>>  >>
>>>  >>  Run mvn site-deploy to deploy the site - please note that you are
>>>  >>  deploying the site of the next development snapshot. "
>>>  >
>>>  > That's awful - surely there has to be a better way to do this?
>>>  >
>>>  > Would it work if the site-deploy was run from a checkout of the release
tag?
>>>  >

>>> <snip/>
>>>
>>>  Yes, but often, there is value to having latest docs online as well,
>>>  and pointers to docs for more than one release. My SOP is:
>>>
>>>  a) On release, checkout tag, deploy site
>>>  b) Move docs (Javadocs, perhaps a user guide) to a release area
>>>  c) Checkout trunk, add nav menu to release area, deploy site
>>>  d) Maintain last few (3?) rolling release areas
>>>

>> OK, but it seems to me that the main documentation should relate to
>> the current release; past or future documentation can be made
>> available as well, but it is critical that the current documentation
>> is readily available. (*)
>>
>> Are there any examples/documentation to show exactly how this is done?
>>
>> (*) In the case of Compress, the 1.1-SNAPSHOT docs are (currently) the
>> same as 1.0, but how is the user to know that?
>>

> Sorry for replying on the other thread.
>
> A website is not documentation. We should remove the version and
> properly label 'Project Reports' as 'Latest Development Reports' or
> some such.
>
> We're the victims of an experiment that was only half completed imo.

+1.  I tend to remove the development reports when I cut RCs and roll
releases.  I also favor having the www website focussed on current
development, with prior release documentation linked - i.e., javadoc for
the last few releases linked in the nav.  I also like to include a fully
generated website with the distribution.

Phil