commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject [pool] Release process
Date Sat, 23 May 2009 19:41:28 GMT
Perf testing has gone well so far.  I have one more batch of javadoc /
ridiculously-long-line elimination changes to commit and then I will cut
an RC.   There are a couple of things that I want to get community input
on before plowing forward with the RC.

0) @author tags.  This has been discussed several times before.  These
are way out of date and none have been added since we stopped adding
@author tags here about 4 years ago.  I am OK leaving as is, but want to
let others weigh in on maybe eliminating them from the sources.

1) Release process.  I am NOT planning on using the maven release
plugin.  I will get working assemblies to create tarballs, make tags,
named RC1, 2 (NOT "mutable" release tags) and push the tarballs and jar
artifacts manually to the mirror/repo locations.  For the RCs, I will
keep RC* names in the artifact and jar names. Once an RC passes
inspection, I will tag and roll a "final" RC with RC tag name, but final
release-named artifacts and kick off a release VOTE.  If the VOTE
passes, I will deploy the voted-on artifacts and copy the tag.    Pls
scream now if this is not acceptable.  I prefer this method because I
know exactly what is going on at each stage and it keeps tags and RCs
immutable.

Phil