commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] [math] top-level package name
Date Sat, 23 May 2009 15:12:10 GMT
Henri Yandell wrote:
> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maisonobe@free.fr> wrote:
>
>> Luc Maisonobe a écrit :
>>

>>> So let's vote on this proposal: change the top level package name on
>>> [math] from org.apache.commons.math to org.apache.commons.math2.
>>>
>>> [] +1 change the top level package name
>>> []  0 I don't care
>>> [] -1 keep the old name
>>>
>>> Vote open for 72 hours (up to Friday May 19th 20h00 UTC)
>>>
>> Resending the result due to an error: James Carman vote is also a
>> binding vote, sorry for the mishap.
>>
>> This vote has failed with the following tally (marking binding votes
>> with *):
>>
>> +1* Luc Maisonobe
>> +1* Henri Yandell
>> +1* James Carman
>> +1* Brent Worden
>> +1  Edward J. Yoon
>> +1* Jörg Schaible
>> +1  Dimitri Pourbaix (changed from -1 to +1)
>>
>> +0  Ted Dunning
>> +0  Cyril Briquet
>>
>> -0  Bill Barker
>>
>> -1  Gilles Sadowski
>> -1* Niall Pemberton
>> -1* Phil Steitz (changed from +1 to -1)
>>
>> So the top level package name will remain org.apache.commons.math
>>

> Heh... now there can be a "keep the package name the same" vote that
> also fails :)

Yeah.  I have thought about that kind of thing before.  Our "veto" rules
apply to code *changes* so strictly speaking that VOTE is not
necessary.  What *could* happen is that enough people could -1 the
release to effectively block it.

Of course, our way here is to come to agreement and it looks like we
have not done that in this case.  My original vote (+1) was partly for
consistency with the rest of commons and out of fear of "jar hell"
scenarios.  I was swayed by Niall's argument and reflection on use cases
that I am aware of.  I am sure Niall as well is open to enlightenment if
others can point to practical use cases (observed or likely) involving
[math] that demonstrate that the "pain-minimizing" alternative is to
change the package name.

Phil