commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject Re: [math] Apache Math TLP? [WAS Re: [math] top-level package name]
Date Sat, 23 May 2009 14:11:33 GMT
Rahul Akolkar a écrit :
> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> (apologies for jumping in half way through)
>>
>> luc.maisonobe@free.fr wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Considering the ongoing discussion in another thread, the current changes that
have been done on
>>> [math] for the last months belong to the major changes with large incompatibilities
with previous versions.
>>> We have already decided that the version number will be 2.0 to acknowledge that.
I know of at least one big
>>> international research project that uses commons-math 1.2 and will switch to
2.0 when it will be published.
>>> They have already faced compatibility problems recently (two days ago).
>>>
>>> Should we change the top level package name from org.apache.commons.math to org.apache.commons.math2
?
>> why not org.apache.math ;-)
>>
>> maybe the time and interest levels are now right to consider a TLP...
>>
> <snip/>
>
> I'd support such a resolution if and when the [math] developers deem it fit.

This is tempting ...

The pros:
There is currently some momentum in [math] and several people seem
interested. There are also several other mathematical projects floating
around and apparently ready to cooperate. The component is becoming
quite large by now and its focus slightly shifts away from the rest of
the commons components.

The cons:
Maybe the current interest will vanish once 2.0 is out. A top level
project is probably more administrative work than simply resting in the
comfort of the commons.

What do other people think ?

Luc