commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [math] top-level package name
Date Thu, 21 May 2009 09:55:19 GMT
Niall Pemberton wrote:
> -1
> IMO breaking compatibility should be decided on a case-by-case basis
> for components. For the widely used variety such as lang, logging,
> collections etc then I agree lets avoid jar-hell and not do it. But
> for other components that are not so widely used then such as Math I
> think its better to minimize the pain of upgrading for the user.'
I keep going back and forth on this.  I agree strongly with the
"minimize the pain" objective, which is why I have been pushing to keep
the incompatible changes to a minimum (which we have largely
accomplished).  For me personally (with user hat on) it would be easier
if the package name did not change.  I guess what it comes down to is
how many users will actually experience the "jar hell" scenario with
[math] vs. *every* user having to change all of their imports to upgrade.

Sorry to do this, but on reflection, I think no change is likely to be
the pain-minimizing alternative, so I am changing my vote to -1.