commons-dev mailing list archives

From Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maison...@free.fr>
Subject [VOTE] [math] top-level package name
Date Tue, 19 May 2009 20:06:37 GMT
Henri Yandell a écrit :
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 3:53 AM,  <luc.maisonobe@free.fr> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Considering the ongoing discussion in another thread, the current changes that have
been done on [math] for the last months belong to the major changes with large incompatibilities
with previous versions. We have already decided that the version number will be 2.0 to acknowledge
that. I know of at least one big international research project that uses commons-math 1.2
and will switch to 2.0 when it will be published. They have already faced compatibility problems
recently (two days ago).

>> Should we change the top level package name from org.apache.commons.math to org.apache.commons.math2
?

> Generate a clirr report when 2.0 is ready and decide then :)

183 errors ...

Well this may seem very large, but there are a few categories that
contribute a lot to this large number. Some changes are mainly internal
like exception constructors. Some changes correspond to deprecated APIs
that were purged. Several related sets of classes were moved together in
sub-packages. There are also additions to interfaces for which we don't
expect users to provide their own implementations (the most typical case
is RealMatrix).

>From the very beginning, we had decided it will be a major release and
didn't refrain to add incompatible changes, putting them all in one
release to make sure we have a very clean start version for 2.x. As far
as I am concerned, the old package name would be fine. However, it seems
the policy for such changes is now to change these names, and lots of
good arguments have been presented recently, so I thought we should
follow the general trend and good advices.

So let's vote on this proposal: change the top level package name on
[math] from org.apache.commons.math to org.apache.commons.math2.

[] +1 change the top level package name
[]  0 I don't care
[] -1 keep the old name

Vote open for 72 hours (up to Friday May 19th 20h00 UTC)

Luc