commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] top-level package name
Date Tue, 19 May 2009 13:20:02 GMT
luc.maisonobe@free.fr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Considering the ongoing discussion in another thread, the current changes that have been
done on [math] for the last months belong to the major changes with large incompatibilities
with previous versions. We have already decided that the version number will be 2.0 to acknowledge
that. I know of at least one big international research project that uses commons-math 1.2
and will switch to 2.0 when it will be published. They have already faced compatibility problems
recently (two days ago).

What were the problems?  I have been on the fence on the package name
change as I - I guess incorrectly - have been assuming that the
compatability breaks are not extensive and not likely to bite many users.

Given that there *are* incompatibilities, I am +1 on the package renaming.

Phil