commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gulcu <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: commons-logging version 0.0.0-EMPTY
Date Tue, 19 May 2009 12:41:12 GMT

nicolas de loof wrote:
> A library autor that MAY use cl-0.0 to remove commons-logging from
> dependency tree and use SLF4J will anyway have a dependency on cl-over-sfl4j
> that solves the ClassNotFoundException

Good point but what if the end-user wanted to use commons-logging proper and not
SLF4J? In other words, can the end-user override the propagation of cl-0.0-EMPTY
and use cl-1.1 instead? Clearly, by declaring cl-1.1 in the project POM, the
end-user can reinstate cl-1.1.

> A library that uses slf4j would anyway only declare slf4japi as dependency
> and has no reason to force exclusion of commons-logging.

I agree. Nevertheless, there is a possibility that 0.0-EMPTY would be
propagated to the end-user, either accidentally or by incompetence.

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://logback.qos.ch