commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gulcu <c...@qos.ch>
Subject sanctioning commons-logging version "99.0-does-not-exist"
Date Thu, 14 May 2009 09:23:09 GMT
Hello all,

A large number of Maven projects declare commons-logging as a
dependency. Thus, if a developer wishes to use jcl-over-slf4j instead
of commons-logging, he or she would need to declare a commons-logging
exclusion in all of his/her dependencies which transitively depend on
commons-logging. This can be an error prone process. To alleviate the
pain, Erik van Oosten has developed a clever hack around this problem.

See http://tinyurl.com/2kds3v for details.

The idea is to publish empty artifacts which supposedly fulfill
dependencies for commons-logging without actually providing any
classes (hence the empty artifacts).

This approach works fine except that it requires the declaration of a
new repository in the project's pom.xml file. Moreover, the durability
of this repository is also questionable.

Would the Apache Commons community, out of courtesy to developers,
consent to commons-logging version "99.0-does-not-exist" to be
published in the main maven repository?

I understand that the Apache Commons has nothing to gain by
sanctioning work done elsewhere. However, since the ASF is a
non-profit organization I thought that my request might have a small
chance of being accepted.

Thank you for your response,

--
Ceki Gülcü