commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] Apache Math TLP? [WAS Re: [math] top-level package name]
Date Sun, 24 May 2009 00:30:29 GMT
On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 5:34 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> (apologies for jumping in half way through)
>
> luc.maisonobe@free.fr wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Considering the ongoing discussion in another thread, the current changes that have
been done on
>> [math] for the last months belong to the major changes with large incompatibilities
with previous versions.
>> We have already decided that the version number will be 2.0 to acknowledge that.
I know of at least one big
>> international research project that uses commons-math 1.2 and will switch to 2.0
when it will be published.
>> They have already faced compatibility problems recently (two days ago).
>>
>> Should we change the top level package name from org.apache.commons.math to org.apache.commons.math2
?

> why not org.apache.math ;-)
>
> maybe the time and interest levels are now right to consider a TLP...

+1 to Math remaining in Commons.

However - also +1 to considering org.apache.math. No reason not to
imo. Subprojects have long been able to leave their umbrella name out.
Thus we were org.apache.commons and not org.apache.jakarta.

Hen