commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] fix site doc version so it agrees with release [was: [compress] Two issues with releasing the release]
Date Sat, 23 May 2009 10:48:46 GMT
> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 6:14 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On 22/05/2009, Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 7:08 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >>  > On 22/05/2009, Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >>  >> > Another minor glitch I noticed just now. All pages seem to include
>  >>  >>  > green "1.1-SNAPSHOT" in the grey headline, which may come in
via the
>  >>  >>  > generating style sheet or an ant property (I didn't check how
the site
>  >>  >>  > is generated).
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >> Thanks, but it looks like "know issue":
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>  http://wiki.apache.org/commons/CreatingReleases :
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>  "E.3 Deploy the Site
>  >>  >>
>  >>  >>  Run mvn site-deploy to deploy the site - please note that you are
>  >>  >>  deploying the site of the next development snapshot. "
>  >>  >
>  >>  > That's awful - surely there has to be a better way to do this?
>  >>  >
>  >>  > Would it work if the site-deploy was run from a checkout of the release
tag?
>  >>  >
>  >>
>  >> <snip/>
>  >>
>  >>  Yes, but often, there is value to having latest docs online as well,
>  >>  and pointers to docs for more than one release. My SOP is:
>  >>
>  >>  a) On release, checkout tag, deploy site
>  >>  b) Move docs (Javadocs, perhaps a user guide) to a release area
>  >>  c) Checkout trunk, add nav menu to release area, deploy site
>  >>  d) Maintain last few (3?) rolling release areas
>  >>
>  >
>  > OK, but it seems to me that the main documentation should relate to
>  > the current release; past or future documentation can be made
>  > available as well, but it is critical that the current documentation
>  > is readily available. (*)
>  >
>  > Are there any examples/documentation to show exactly how this is done?
>  >
>  > (*) In the case of Compress, the 1.1-SNAPSHOT docs are (currently) the
>  > same as 1.0, but how is the user to know that?
>

> Sorry for replying on the other thread.
>
>  A website is not documentation.

Disagree. Many of the commons components would be all but unusable
without the documentation provided in the web-site.

>  We should remove the version and
>  properly label 'Project Reports' as 'Latest Development Reports' or
>  some such.

There's still some information that needs to be provided to users
before they download a release. For example dependency information,
Java version and release notes. These are obviously dependent on the
release version.