commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ALL] fix site doc version so it agrees with release [was: [compress] Two issues with releasing the release]
Date Fri, 22 May 2009 13:14:32 GMT
On 22/05/2009, Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 7:08 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On 22/05/2009, Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >> > Another minor glitch I noticed just now. All pages seem to include a
>  >>  > green "1.1-SNAPSHOT" in the grey headline, which may come in via the
>  >>  > generating style sheet or an ant property (I didn't check how the site
>  >>  > is generated).
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> Thanks, but it looks like "know issue":
>  >>
>  >>  http://wiki.apache.org/commons/CreatingReleases :
>  >>
>  >>  "E.3 Deploy the Site
>  >>
>  >>  Run mvn site-deploy to deploy the site - please note that you are
>  >>  deploying the site of the next development snapshot. "
>  >
>  > That's awful - surely there has to be a better way to do this?
>  >
>  > Would it work if the site-deploy was run from a checkout of the release tag?
>  >

> <snip/>
>
>  Yes, but often, there is value to having latest docs online as well,
>  and pointers to docs for more than one release. My SOP is:
>
>  a) On release, checkout tag, deploy site
>  b) Move docs (Javadocs, perhaps a user guide) to a release area
>  c) Checkout trunk, add nav menu to release area, deploy site
>  d) Maintain last few (3?) rolling release areas

OK, but it seems to me that the main documentation should relate to
the current release; past or future documentation can be made
available as well, but it is critical that the current documentation
is readily available. (*)

Are there any examples/documentation to show exactly how this is done?

(*) In the case of Compress, the 1.1-SNAPSHOT docs are (currently) the
same as 1.0, but how is the user to know that?