commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] top-level package name
Date Tue, 19 May 2009 12:45:24 GMT
On 19/05/2009, James Carman <james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 6:53 AM,  <luc.maisonobe@free.fr> wrote:
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  > Considering the ongoing discussion in another thread, the current changes that
have been done on [math] for the last months belong to the major changes with large incompatibilities
with previous versions.

Are you sure that there are large incompatibilities?

I thought you were trying to preserve API compatibility?

> We have already decided that the version number will be 2.0 to acknowledge that. I know
of at least one big international research project that uses commons-math 1.2 and will switch
to 2.0 when it will be published. They have already faced compatibility problems recently
(two days ago).
>  >
>  > Should we change the top level package name from org.apache.commons.math to org.apache.commons.math2
?

> I'd say yes.

In that case, it should be OK to break compatibility in the Frequency
class by requiring that parameters be Comparable rather than Object -
see MATH-259 & MATH-261 - which will improve compile-time safety.