commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: sanctioning commons-logging version "99.0-does-not-exist"
Date Thu, 14 May 2009 10:20:32 GMT
> On 14/05/2009, Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 11:35 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  >  > Has anyone tried declaring commons logging as <scope>system</scope>
?
>  >
>  >
>  > Beg your pardon, but this is against any use of transitive
>  >  dependencies. Likewise for "provided", of course. If it is a
>  >  dependency, then it is. If anyone else intends to replace it, okay,
>  >  but this is the users decision.
>  >

> Not sure what you mean about transitive dependencies here.
>
>  AIUI, what the 99.0-does-not-exist is trying to do is to provide a
>  fake resolution for people who want to use jcl-over-slf4j instead of
>  commons-logging.
>
>  The referenced blog had a posting suggesting using
>  <scope>provided</scope> but apparently that still adds commons logging
>  as a dependency.
>
>  I was suggesting trying "system" scope instead.
>  If people want to try that for their systems, well why not?
>
>  But I agree with others that version 99 is a really bad idea.
>
>  Perhaps "0.0-does-not-exist" might be a more acceptable solution, or
>  maybe "0.0-null-version" as it does need to exist.

Realised just too late:

Of course that won't work, as the version number has to be higher than
any existing ones.

I think that adding a fake jar to the repository where it may be
*accidentally* picked up is not a good solution to this problem.

It might be OK if the jar could only be used if deliberately selected
by the user.