commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Halliday <sam.halli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] Re: commons-math, matrix-toolkits-java and consolidation
Date Thu, 21 May 2009 15:42:45 GMT

Regarding the name of ArrayRealMatrix. Please don't forget to include the
"2DRow" part to the name (indicating a 2D array which is Row ordered) to
indicate the implementation type. Post 2.0 I'll convince you that a 1D Array
approach is best as it will lead to more efficient use of BLAS and therefore
reproducibility of reference algorithms from, e.g. the Templates project on
netlib ;-)

I've never seen a storage type like BlockRealMatrix before... I'm interested
in seeing where it performs better than, say, a full 1D representation of a
dense matrix. Breaking up the storage like this makes it very difficult to
use BLAS/LAPACK internally.