commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sam Halliday <sam.halli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] Re: commons-math, matrix-toolkits-java and consolidation
Date Thu, 21 May 2009 15:35:12 GMT

Luc, it absolutely would help the compiler... but the point is that the
return types might not remain as they currently are in future releases. For
example, if you multiply a dense matrix and a diagonal matrix... does it
make sense to return a dense matrix? No. :-)

Incidentally, in MTJ we have a mechanism to allow the client to decide on
the storage type for return types. It's a bit clunky, and I'd prefer a
factory approach. I'd like to open up the debate on a mechanism in
commons-math for doing this post-2.0.