commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <billwbar...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] [math] top-level package name
Date Wed, 20 May 2009 02:57:56 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Luc Maisonobe" <Luc.Maisonobe@free.fr>
To: "Commons Developers List" <dev@commons.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 1:06 PM
Subject: [VOTE] [math] top-level package name

> So let's vote on this proposal: change the top level package name on
> [math] from org.apache.commons.math to org.apache.commons.math2.
>
> [] +1 change the top level package name
> []  0 I don't care
> [] -1 keep the old name

-0 (non-binding).  Unlike projects like [logging], [collections] and [lang]
I don't really see that [math] will have that many transitive dependancies.
And as Luc has pointed out, the upgrade path is pretty smooth for 3rd party
components that depend on [math].  It is admittedly a biased sample, but
Gump shows no projects that depend on [math].  It would be nice to just
replace the jar file, and do a clean recompile, but I can live with changing
the import statements.