commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: New Sandbox Component Proposal: Commons JSON
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2009 13:08:58 GMT
Hi Christian,

Christian Grobmeier wrote at Donnerstag, 30. April 2009 13:10:

> Dear Commons-Folks,
>
> Yonik Seeley and I propose the creation of a new Sandbox component
> within Apache Commons. We would like to name it Commons JSON since it
> should deal with everything around JSON.
>
> Yonik did already implement a JSON-Parser in Apache Labs name Noggit:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/labs/noggit/
>
> I have implemented some other JSON-Lib at Google Code:
> http://code.google.com/p/jjson
>
> We would like to join forces since my JSON lib isn't very good at
> parsing and Noggit lacks of some classes I created. Here is the
> original proposal from Noggit which also fits to JJSON:
>
> There is a need for an "industrial strength" JSON parser for Java with
> the following features:
>
> - Streaming API (StAX/pull-parser like) for both easy and efficient
> parsing

Shall this solution actually act as StAX XMLReader/XMLWriter or do you use
this API simply as inspiration? If you intend to do the former, I'd like to
know how you differentiate yourself from Jettison at Codehaus.

> - Conforms to the JSON standard:
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4627.txt
> - Can adhere strictly to the standard
> (not a superset like existing parsers), preferably by default
> - Memory efficiency
> - incremental parsing (Reader-based) in order to handle huge messages
> - a single byte of state needed per nested object or array

Can you elaborate on this one?

> - does not read large objects (including primitives) completely into
> memory unless asked
> - can eliminate most copying, allowing the user to provide the output
> buffer for values
> - no built in size limits for primitives (less than 2GB)
> - can even handle keys of any size in a map
> - can handle primitives of *any* size (does not attempt to parse
> numerics into a certain language primitives unless asked)
> - Fast!
>
> I would like to add:
> - no dependencies!
> - Creates JSON Strings of Objects and vice versa

... and a bit more on the mapping this mechanism.

> - Annotations for creating objects from a JSON string.
>
> We believe that a JSON lib will become attention quickly and hope to
> get more developers attracted soon.
> Please let us know what you think about it!

Well, there are quite some solutions in the wild ;-)

- Jörg