commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <>
Subject Re: [Configuration] experimental branch uses java.util.logging?
Date Tue, 14 Apr 2009 16:42:24 GMT
Hi Ralph,

Ralph Goers wrote:

> On Apr 11, 2009, at 6:20 AM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
>> Actually I'd be against SLF4J. Additionally I also prefer commons-
>> logging
>> compared to j.u.l.
> Why would you be against SLF4J? I assume that means if I changed it to
> use SLF4J you would vote -1 on the code commit?  Does that apply to
> any commons project?

the point is, what do we gain by a change to SLF4J? For simple components
like the ones in Apache Commons it is enough to have one logging facade.
There was a major effort to resolve any problem with CL 1.1.1.  Most of its
bad reputation was a result of Tomcat using CL itself. Tomcat is using JUL
now and I really bet SLF4J would suffer from the same problems if used as
base of a JEE server. Additionally, since you can use SLF4J as direct
replacement, every user is free to do so.

- Jörg

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message