commons-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New Sandbox Component Proposal: Commons JSON
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2009 19:25:39 GMT
Matt,

> I don't know about folks you (or I) know face-to-face, but I know that several ASF committers
and members have popped up around the ANTLR lists over the years, including, off the top of
my head, myself, Torsten, O.Ziegermann, H.L. Ship, and probably others.  I personally am
quite comfortable with ANTLR 2.x but need to really take the time to play with ANTLR 3.  The
argument _for_ using parser generators is that those who use them feel the grammar is easier
to digest (it's smaller) than the equivalent Java code.  It's something else again to debug
ANTLR parsers/treeparsers, but it's far from impossible.  Once you get used to knowing what
to look for it's actually fairly easy.  I don't say any of this to disparage Yonik's work
on Noggit (I've not looked at it); I am just airing my understanding of the motivations for
using grammars and parser generators as opposed to hand-writing parsers.

what you (and Torsten, he PMed me) are saying will surely make digg me
more into antlr. At the moment I always felt that such a simple format
like json doesn't need  such a tool like antlr, but maybe I am wrong
and should rethink. However, Yoniks parser is very fast - antlr
parsers should have same performance and should be memory efficient
too.
This can be checked, of course, and I will do that (when having some
spare time left :-)).

Thanks!

Christian