commons-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <>
Subject Re: SSH Implementation - IDEA and seeking Suggestions.
Date Sat, 11 Apr 2009 22:26:43 GMT
On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 22:42, Vinod Kumar Badhavat
<> wrote:
> Hi Guillaume Nodet
> Thank you for your information. I applied to Apache as a part of Google
> Summer of Code(GSoC), so I think, I should stick to the proposal I made in
> the application and implement SSH as a part of commons-net. I would like to
> use SSHD's key and algorithm negotiation. I'm planning to use java
> cryptography directly. If this is not so useful, then i may turn to SSHD's
> crypto.

I know, but when the proposal has been created, the authors were not
aware of the existence of the Apache SSHD subproject.
Have a look at the code for SSHD, it uses the java cryptography api
already.  The main difference is that the socket layer uses MINA (NIO)
instead of plain sockets, but this does not mean you have to rewrite
the whole crypto / key exchange / negociation from scratch.
Actually, the dependency to MINA is quite thin, and I'd be happy if
you need to refactor any part of it to make it more reusable ....

> can i use mina's mailing list to discuss about SSH Implementation?

Sure, just prefix your message subject with [SSHD] when you post to