commons-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Sanselan as a Commons library
Date Sat, 18 Apr 2009 21:55:41 GMT
Hi Phil,

On Apr 18, 2009, at 2:26 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:

>> The last item before graduation is activity and diversity, which
>> are lacking. There were a few developers during the project but now
>> we have only one active developer. And it's not clear that we will
>> be able any time soon to attract more developers to fulfill the
>> requirements.
>>
>> While discussing Sanselan in the incubator, it appears that there
>> are three end points for the podling:
>>
>> 1. Fail incubation and reject Sanselan
>> 2. Continue (indefinitely?) to incubate Sanselan
>> 3. Graduate Sanselan as a sub-project of another TLP
>>
>> It appears to many of us that option 3 is the best way forward.
>>
>> It also appears that Commons might be a good fit for the project.
>>
> Before getting into the administrative questions below, the first
> question to ask is can we grow a community around this component in
> commons.

There is a small community. There are 31 subscribers to the dev list
(5 or so are administrative/mentor subscriptions).

There is a small but steady stream of email to the alias.

There have been two committers, one of whom is currently active.

> The lack of activity is a concern.  Is anyone interested in coding
> on this?

The primary author is still committed to the project. There have been
code contributions but it appears to me that the product mostly works
as advertised. If it doesn't work, users write in, sometimes
contributing a patch.

So bottom line, there is a small community but not likely to grow into
a full TLP-sized project.

Craig

> Phil

Craig L Russell