commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [Configuration] experimental branch uses java.util.logging?
Date Fri, 10 Apr 2009 18:58:21 GMT

On Apr 10, 2009, at 11:40 AM, Oliver Heger wrote:

> Ralph Goers schrieb:
>> I just noticed that this was changed from commons.logging.  I'm
>> very strongly opposed to using j.u.l. I much prefer a logging
>> abstraction. While I'm not in love with commons-logging and would
>> prefer SLF4J, using commons-logging is better than using j.u.l
>> directly. As I said, if there is some reason for moving away from
>> commons-logging I'd be happy to do the work to migrate to SLF4J.
>> Ralph
> This change was made by Emmanuel, IIRC for the reason of getting rid
> of a dependency. Personally I was not too happy with this change
> either. IMHO libraries should use logging facades rather than
> forcing applications to use specific logging tools. So we seem to
> agree in this point.
>
> About the abstraction to use I am a bit indifferent. There is this
> point of eating our own dog food (i.e. commons-logging). But if you
> prefer SLF4J (I haven't used it myself), I am not opposed to moving
> to it.

Glad to hear that we are on the same page.

If we continue to use commons-logging I would want to add a bunch of
enhancements to it that SLF4J already has. I suspect that this would
require a new branch of commons logging and I'd probably want the
minimum version to be Java 5. Since I'm only one guy and stretched
very thin I'm not sure when I could get to that. But I really would
like to.

Ralph