commons-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Libbrecht <p...@activemath.org>
Subject [io?] [all] flexible "char-array" ?
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2009 09:17:23 GMT

Hello commons list,

one thing I keep seeing around is people exchanging either too big
strings, byte-arrays, or stringbuffers. It looks like, they one has
still not found something sensible that describes something close to
an array of characters so:

- that can give its length
- that can be read and re-read
- with a variant can be  changed to (e.g. with a writer)

but something that is flexible enough so that:

- it does not reserve a block of contiguous bytes in RAM!
- it scales pretty big
- maybe it even has regions mapped into file

where should I look for such a family of objects?
Commons-IO could be such maybe?

paul

PS: last I looked, many many many people serialize massive document as
XML, that is good, but they exchange that XML as string!