commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: New Sandbox Component Proposal: Commons JSON
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2009 15:59:18 GMT

--- On Thu, 4/30/09, Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: New Sandbox Component Proposal: Commons JSON
> To: "Commons Developers List" <dev@commons.apache.org>
> Date: Thursday, April 30, 2009, 9:55 AM
> > Why do you consider a dependency
> on Antlr a negative (the runtime is 148k), JSON is a
> formally defined language after all.
>
> I don't know a person face to face who actually can handle
> antlr. Its
> a cool tool, but if you need to create a patch for your
> json lib, it
> can be hell. Plain java is understood by every java
> developer (well,
> most ;-)).

I don't know about folks you (or I) know face-to-face, but I know that several ASF committers
and members have popped up around the ANTLR lists over the years, including, off the top of
my head, myself, Torsten, O.Ziegermann, H.L. Ship, and probably others.  I personally am quite
comfortable with ANTLR 2.x but need to really take the time to play with ANTLR 3.  The argument
_for_ using parser generators is that those who use them feel the grammar is easier to digest
(it's smaller) than the equivalent Java code.  It's something else again to debug ANTLR parsers/treeparsers,
but it's far from impossible.  Once you get used to knowing what to look for it's actually
fairly easy.  I don't say any of this to disparage Yonik's work on Noggit (I've not looked
at it); I am just airing my understanding of the motivations for using grammars and parser
generators as opposed to hand-writing parsers.

-Matt