commons-dev mailing list archives

From Vinod Kumar Badhavat <vinod.ofgov...@gmail.com>
Subject SSH Implementation - IDEA and seeking Suggestions.
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2009 10:39:14 GMT
Hi

I applied to ASF as a part of Google Summer of Code program for a project -
"Implementation of SSH in Java" , and this implementation may be added to
commons net.

I have an idea on how to start-off with this. Although I consulted my mentor
with this idea, i'm posting this idea here to get an insight on developing
code.

  /*
     * we will have a class called SSHConnect to establish SSH connection.

     * SSHConnect sshCon = new SSHConnect(hostname to which a connection
must be established ) ;
     * sshCon.serverAuth(); // used to authenticate server
     *                         // This involves
     *                         // 1.exchange of identification strings
between server and client hosts
     *                         // 2.exchange of SSH_MSG_KEYINIT
     *                         // 3.Algorithm negotiation.
     *                         // 4.Key Exchange algorithm is run - server
authentication is done in this step
     *                         // 5.If 4th step is successful, then exchange
SSH_MSG_NEWKEYS .
     *                         // 6.This ends the Server Authentication
     * // If server authentication is successful then everything must go
smoothly and we can proceed to
     *     user authentication.
     * sshCon.userAuthentication(method of authentication, user details )
;
     *                         // 1.Now the user name is sent to server.
Already the algorithm negotiation is
     *                              done in serverAuth() method. So we use
these negotiated algorithms to
     *                              compress, encrypted, signed (signature
is used only for user
     *                              authentication. MAC will be used for
further message transmission ) and transported .
     *                         // 2. Server that receives the above message
authenticates the user ( by
     *                               the signature ) and confirms whether it
is communicating with the correct
     *                               user host.
     *                         // 3. Now depending upon the type of
authentication method, user will
     *                               be authenticated.
     *  // If user authentication is successful then a session is started
and here in session, client will have
     *     access to SSH features like remote command execution, X11
forwarding, port forwarding, DSA and RSA key
     *     generation, SCP etc .
     * sshCon.startSession() ;  // sending data - data is compressed(if
negotiated) , 'mac' is calculated,
     *                             // encrypted, mac is appended to the
encrypted data and next transported.
     *
     *
     * // The above mentioned is the basic structure how a programmer can
use SSH in his/her program.
     * // Now the real task is developing code for this to happen according
to SSH2 standards.
     *
     * // for server authentication we require
     *
     *    1.Packet description ( Binary Packet - as mentioned in RFC ) -
     *            we may have an interface called Packet which is
implemented by all the Packet type classes
     *            like SSH_MSG_KEYINIT ( there are many such messages ).
Although the basic structure of all
     *            the packets is same we try to classify them according the
message they convey, because we
     *            can have methods declared and coded in respective classes
( ( different packets have
     *            different information and hence must be handled
differently ). For example SSH_MSG_KEYINIT
     *            will have some stuff for algorithm negotiation and hence
will be handled in that class
     *            appropriately.
     *
     *    2.Algorithm Negotiation -
     *            we can have a class called AlgoNegotiation and a static
method in this class for negotiation.
     *            This method will be used when handling SSH_MSG_KEYINIT
     *
     *    3.Key Exchange Algorithm -
     *            class named KexAlgo can handle this algorithm
appropriately. We use cryptography algorithms
     *            defined in java crypto. We may require this class to
create a harmony between crypto classes
     *            and our implementation ( to take care of correct argument
passing and returned results ).
     *
     *    // TO BE CONTINUED. I'll continue to develop this idea in gradual
steps.
     *
     * */

am I approaching in correct way? You can see that I'm approaching in Top to
Down fashion - i first considered how an user will use this implementation
and then going down to protocol implementation.

Please suggest me some of developing tips which will be useful for this
project.

Thank you,

Vinod Kumar.