commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: commons-logging unsuited for cross-context webapplication invocation usage - migrating to slf4j?
Date Tue, 21 Apr 2009 22:57:42 GMT

On Apr 21, 2009, at 3:03 PM, John Bollinger wrote:

> I confess that I don't understand the portal environment very well,
> but if I'm following this correctly then PLUTO-553 is a symptom of a
> more fundamental issue: objects in a Pluto portlet cannot rely on
> the context classloader to be the correct one from which to obtain
> resources.  This arises because -- as I understand it -- Pluto
> provides portlet isolation analogous to the isolation of distinct
> webapps in a servlet container, but unlike a servlet container, it
> allows one portlet to invoke methods on the live objects of another,
> not changing the context classloader when such cross-context method
> invocations occur.
>
> If I have analyzed that correctly then I would account it a Pluto
> bug, not a JCL bug.

I saw your update on PLUTO-553. I suggest you read the JSR 286 Portlet
spec. Portlets can access resources using the PortletContext's
getResource method. This corresponds to the portlet War's servlet
context. In addition, portlets also have access to the PortalContext.
It is important to remember that when a portlet war is "deployed" by a
portal a new servlet gets added by the portal container. This servlet
"bridges" between the portal and the portlet. Most likely this is
where Pluto wants the logging framework to use the Portal's class
loader.

Ralph