commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [Configuration] experimental branch uses java.util.logging?
Date Wed, 15 Apr 2009 07:22:14 GMT

On Apr 15, 2009, at 12:08 AM, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:

> Ralph Goers wrote at Mittwoch, 15. April 2009 03:18:
>
>> By contrast, SLF4J supports many more variations of these, primarily
>> because it supports Markers (which I will refer to in a moment).  In
>> addition, SLF4J supports a message syntax that in many cases
>> eliminates the need to wrap all the logging calls with if
>> (logger.isXXXEnabled()).
>
> All true, but fix me if I'm wrong: My understanding is that SLF4J
> requires recompiling the sources. That's a blocker, IMO.

Where did you get that idea?  Your application has to code to the
SLF4J API just as it has to code to the Commons Logging API if it is
using that. They are not identical.  However, no code changes are
required to plug in different logging implementations just as they
aren't for Commons Logging.

Ralph