commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: commons-logging unsuited for cross-context webapplication invocation usage - migrating to slf4j?
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2009 15:38:34 GMT

On Apr 22, 2009, at 7:38 AM, sebb wrote:

> I could be wrong here, but it seems to me that SLF4J also relies on
> the ClassLoader to find the implementation.
>
> It's not clear whether Pluto would work if the properties file were
> used to define the CL implementation.
>
> It may be that CL cannot work with Pluto, but I'm not sure that has
> been proved.
>
> I'm not saying Pluto is wrong to use SLF4J, but the cited reasons may
> not be true.

I am not sure that finding the implementation was the problem. As I
said, I am not intimate with Pluto so I'm not sure exactly what the
issue was. But the root of the problem seems to be that Commons
Logging "manages" the Class Loader. Whether it is to find the logging
implementation, loggers or whatever I can't say for sure without
asking Ate. This doesn't work well for applications that are also
"managing" the class loader. SLF4J won't have that problem since it
doesn't do that.

Ralph