commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [Configuration] experimental branch uses java.util.logging?
Date Tue, 14 Apr 2009 20:34:09 GMT

On Apr 14, 2009, at 9:42 AM, Jörg Schaible wrote:

> the point is, what do we gain by a change to SLF4J? For simple
> components
> like the ones in Apache Commons it is enough to have one logging
> facade.
> There was a major effort to resolve any problem with CL 1.1.1.  Most
> of its
> bad reputation was a result of Tomcat using CL itself. Tomcat is
> using JUL
> now and I really bet SLF4J would suffer from the same problems if
> used as
> base of a JEE server. Additionally, since you can use SLF4J as direct
> replacement, every user is free to do so.

Valid points. The main issue I have with Commons Logging is just that
it is too minimal. But that can easily be addressed. But I do have a
couple of comments.
1. The code was already changed from using Commons Logging as it does
in trunk to use java.util.logging. Both Oliver and I have stated that
we dislike that and want to change it to a facade. So it isn't a
matter of changing it versus leaving it alone.
2. SLF4J isn't a "direct" replacement for Commons Logging. The APIs
aren't exactly the same.

Ralph