commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Sanselan as a Commons library
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2009 17:17:07 GMT

--- On Wed, 4/22/09, Carsten Ziegeler <> wrote:

> From: Carsten Ziegeler <>
> Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Sanselan as a Commons library
> To: "Commons Developers List" <>
> Date: Wednesday, April 22, 2009, 4:42 AM
> Phil Steitz wrote
> > We have a rule of thumb here that in order to graduate
> a component from
> > the sandbox to commons proper, we need to have 3
> committers willing to
> > work on it (which means more than just "oversight" -
> more like active
> > involvement).  This is not a hard and fast rule,
> but something we like
> > to adhere to.  We already have too many "dormant"
> components that should
> > be moving out to the attic one day, so we aren't keen
> on promoting
> > sandbox components or taking on codebases that we
> can't generate
> > committer interest in.  So lets see what level of
> interest we can
> > generate here for Sanselan.  We welcome all ASF
> committers at commons
> > and we don't have a tremendously high bar for
> contributors who stick
> > around long enough and play nice, so if we can get
> some volunteers to
> > express interest, we can move forward.
> >
> I think at least all or nearly most of the current Sanselan
> committers, e.g.
> Charles, Philipp and myself will be committed to Sanselan.

Hi Carsten,
  I understood Phil's comments to mean that only Charles had been making much in the way of
actual code changes to Sanselan from now for X amount of time into the past.  Do the other
committers have actual knowledge of the codebase, or, failing that, grim determination to
see that Sanselan is properly supported?  ;)  I will try to make some time to peruse Sanselan's
structure myself and would encourage other members of the Commons community to do the same,
as we then might be in a better position to gauge how easily any Java developer could dive
in and lend a hand.