commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: commons-logging unsuited for cross-context webapplication invocation usage - migrating to slf4j?
Date Tue, 21 Apr 2009 19:25:32 GMT

On Apr 21, 2009, at 11:59 AM, Dennis Lundberg wrote:

> I'm not that experienced in writing portlets or how the portlet
> container works. Can you please try to explain in more detail what the
> problem is.
>
> Commons Logging works great in a servlet container like Tomcat. Every
> webapp can have their own version of commons-logging and their own
> configuration. How does the portlet container use case differ from
> this?
>
> Do you configure Commons Logging explicitly, by using a
> commons-logging.properties file or are you relying on auto
> discovery? In
> my experience you you should *always* configure the logging
> implementation explicitly if you want deterministic results.

As I said in an earlier post, I follow the various portlet mailing
lists but really have very little to do with the issue they are
experiencing. It is documented at http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PLUTO-553
.

In a nutshell though, the Portal is a War. Individual portlets are
packaged as separate war files and are run under the direction of the
main portal war. They seem to want all the portlets to use the logging
configuration of the portal. Personally, I'm not sure what they are
saying they want makes sense, but I guess the point is that even if it
doesn't they should still be able to do it.

Ralph