commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ceki Gulcu <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: Fwd: commons-logging unsuited for cross-context webapplication invocation usage - migrating to slf4j?
Date Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:30:00 GMT
Mark Thomas wrote:

> Sorry if I wasn't clear. I intended that the slf4j jars and the third
> party jars were all in WEB-INF/lib
>
> My concern in this scenario is more that this j.u.l, as part of the JRE,
> will be loaded by the System class loader and hence loggers are
> registered JVM wide rather than per webapp. Does slf4j provide a way
> around this issue?

Thank you for your response. Actually, I am unable to understand what
the issue is. So I can't answer whether SLF4J would be helpful or
not. In principle, SLF4J does not provide any mechanism whatsoever to
get around class loading issues. It only follows a two step recipe: 1)
attempt to load a class named StaticLoggerBinder which ships within
each slf4j binding 2) Each binding in turn will try to bind with a
specific logging framework. It's a very dumb and rather inelegant
approach which I would not recommend except in the context of
logging. SLF4J does not use class loaders directly.

Anyway, while I understand that j.u.l. classes are part of the JRE, I
don't see what difference it makes in this scenario.

--
Ceki Gülcü
http://logback.qos.ch