commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <>
Subject Re: Fwd: commons-logging unsuited for cross-context webapplication invocation usage - migrating to slf4j?
Date Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:06:03 GMT
Ceki Gulcu wrote:
> Mark Thomas wrote:
>> Two web applications both using slf4j with java.util.logging and both
>> using a third party library that has a logger called "MyLogger".
>> When web app one uses the library, slf4j will return - via a call to
>> j.u.l.getLogger() - a new logger called MyLogger. When web app two uses
>> the library it will get the same logger instance as web app one. This
>> type of behaviour is often at the root of permgen memory leaks.
> Where is the 3rd party library located on the class path? Is the 3rd
> party library loaded by a shared/common class loader, parent of the
> web-app class loaders?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I intended that the slf4j jars and the third
party jars were all in WEB-INF/lib

My concern in this scenario is more that this j.u.l, as part of the JRE,
will be loaded by the System class loader and hence loggers are
registered JVM wide rather than per webapp. Does slf4j provide a way
around this issue?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message