commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: commons-logging unsuited for cross-context webapplication invocation usage - migrating to slf4j?
Date Fri, 24 Apr 2009 08:21:13 GMT
Ate Douma wrote:
> When Pluto needs to "aggregate" the content of this TestPortlet, it
> invokes it render(PortletRequest, PortletResponse) method using a
> "cross-context" call from the Pluto web application to the "test" web
> application.
> The TestPortlet.render method receives the PortletRequest object (as
> loaded from the Pluto WEB-INF/lib) and invokes its
> PortletRequest.getPortletPreferences() method. If the PortletPreferences
> class hasn't been accessed yet before, this will cause the ClassLoader
> of PortletRequest, being the Pluto webapp ClassLoader, to now load the
> PortletPreferences class.
> But, because the current ContextClassLoader is the "test" webapp
> ClassLoader, LogFactory will lookup the logger implementation from the
> "test" webapp...
> With as result that logging output for the PortletPreferences class will
> end up in the target as specified by the "test" webapp, not in the one
> (as expected) as configured for the Pluto webapp.

I have seen similar issues in Tomcat's internal logging with
java.util.logging, log4j and commons-logging. Why will this be any
different with slf4j?

> The only possible workaround I could come up with was extending
> LogFactory itself and temporarily switching/enforcing the current
> ContextClassLoader to that of the class itself, but obviously we didn't
> even consider that as a real option.

In Tomcat, the issue was (mainly) log objects for internal components
being created and loaded by a web application class loader. This was a
particular issue for Jasper, the JSP engine, as it interacts quite
closely with web apps. We solved this by ensuring that the logs were
created during Tomcat start.

Would a similar solution not work for Pluto? Use a
ServletContextListener to create your log instances when the portlet
container web appilcation starts?

Mark