commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Sanselan as a Commons library
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:14:40 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Phil Steitz wrote
>
>> We have a rule of thumb here that in order to graduate a component from
>> the sandbox to commons proper, we need to have 3 committers willing to
>> work on it (which means more than just "oversight" - more like active
>> involvement).  This is not a hard and fast rule, but something we like
>> to adhere to.  We already have too many "dormant" components that should
>> be moving out to the attic one day, so we aren't keen on promoting
>> sandbox components or taking on codebases that we can't generate
>> committer interest in.  So lets see what level of interest we can
>> generate here for Sanselan.  We welcome all ASF committers at commons
>> and we don't have a tremendously high bar for contributors who stick
>> around long enough and play nice, so if we can get some volunteers to
>> express interest, we can move forward.
>>

> I think at least all or nearly most of the current Sanselan committers, e.g.
> Charles, Philipp and myself will be committed to Sanselan.

Great.  That satisfies my only concern.  I think the administrative
items can be sorted out fairly easily, so I am +1 for welcoming this
codebase and community into commons.  I guess the  next step is to
decide whether to start in the sandbox or proper and then kick off a vote.

 From my perspective, proper is appropriate as the component has had a
release.  I will give others a chance to weigh in on this and then kick
off the acceptance vote.

Phil