commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] MATH-224 - need a better idea
Date Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:01:20 GMT
Ted Dunning wrote:
> That is a fine answer for some things, but the parallel cases fail.
>
> My feeling is that there are a few cases where there are nice aggregatable
> summary statistics like moments and there are many cases where this just
> doesn't work well (such as rank statistics).
Yes, this is why not all statistics are "storeless."  We have another
"summary" class that maintains its data in storage and supports
"rolling" behavior in DescriptiveStatistics.  The discussion here is
focussed on the "storeless" case, which is limited to those stats that
are computable in this way.  The cases of interest are stats that can be
computed in one pass through the data but which can't be "aggregated"
post hoc.  John's approach provides a simple solution to this problem.

For completeness, we should probably similarly implement aggregation in
the sense defined in MATH-224 for DescriptiveStatistics as well.

Phil