commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Sanselan as a Commons library
Date Sun, 19 Apr 2009 02:25:20 GMT
Craig L Russell wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> On Apr 18, 2009, at 2:26 PM, Phil Steitz wrote:
>
>>> The last item before graduation is activity and diversity, which are
>>> lacking. There were a few developers during the project but now we
>>> have only one active developer. And it's not clear that we will be
>>> able any time soon to attract more developers to fulfill the
>>> requirements.
>>>
>>> While discussing Sanselan in the incubator, it appears that there
>>> are three end points for the podling:
>>>
>>> 1. Fail incubation and reject Sanselan
>>> 2. Continue (indefinitely?) to incubate Sanselan
>>> 3. Graduate Sanselan as a sub-project of another TLP
>>>
>>> It appears to many of us that option 3 is the best way forward.
>>>
>>> It also appears that Commons might be a good fit for the project.
>>>
>> Before getting into the administrative questions below, the first
>> question to ask is can we grow a community around this component in
>> commons.
>
> There is a small community. There are 31 subscribers to the dev list
> (5 or so are administrative/mentor subscriptions).
>
> There is a small but steady stream of email to the alias.
>
> There have been two committers, one of whom is currently active.
>
>> The lack of activity is a concern.  Is anyone interested in coding on
>> this?
>
> The primary author is still committed to the project. There have been
> code contributions but it appears to me that the product mostly works
> as advertised. If it doesn't work, users write in, sometimes
> contributing a patch.
>
> So bottom line, there is a small community but not likely to grow into
> a full TLP-sized project.
We have a rule of thumb here that in order to graduate a component from
the sandbox to commons proper, we need to have 3 committers willing to
work on it (which means more than just "oversight" - more like active
involvement).  This is not a hard and fast rule, but something we like
to adhere to.  We already have too many "dormant" components that should
be moving out to the attic one day, so we aren't keen on promoting
sandbox components or taking on codebases that we can't generate
committer interest in.  So lets see what level of interest we can
generate here for Sanselan.  We welcome all ASF committers at commons
and we don't have a tremendously high bar for contributors who stick
around long enough and play nice, so if we can get some volunteers to
express interest, we can move forward.

Phil