commons-dev mailing list archives

From Phil Steitz <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject [math] Package location for RankingAlgorithm
Date Sun, 12 Apr 2009 13:23:24 GMT
MATH-136 introduces rank correlation, with pluggable ranking algorithm.
The RankingAlgorithm interface and associated implementations are likely
to be reused elsewhere in the stat package.  The question is where to
put RankingAlgorithm and its implementations.  I would appreciate
feedback on the following alternatives.

0) Hold off introducing the algorithms at all - just hard-code the
conventional (ties get the average) algorithm into the Spearman's
correlation class to be included in the correlation package.  See
comments in the JIRA issue.

1) Put RankingAlgorithm and its implementations into the correlation
package, where it will be first used.

2) Put them in util

3) Put them in stat.descriptive.rank

4) new package stat.ranking

I think 2) is the best,  but appreciate feedback.

Phil