commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [Configuration] experimental branch uses java.util.logging?
Date Fri, 10 Apr 2009 18:40:27 GMT
Ralph Goers schrieb:
> I just noticed that this was changed from commons.logging.  I'm very
> strongly opposed to using j.u.l. I much prefer a logging abstraction.
> While I'm not in love with commons-logging and would prefer SLF4J, using
> commons-logging is better than using j.u.l directly. As I said, if there
> is some reason for moving away from commons-logging I'd be happy to do
> the work to migrate to SLF4J.
>
> Ralph

This change was made by Emmanuel, IIRC for the reason of getting rid of
a dependency. Personally I was not too happy with this change either.
IMHO libraries should use logging facades rather than forcing
applications to use specific logging tools. So we seem to agree in this
point.

About the abstraction to use I am a bit indifferent. There is this point
of eating our own dog food (i.e. commons-logging). But if you prefer
SLF4J (I haven't used it myself), I am not opposed to moving to it.

Oliver