commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mladen Turk <mt...@apache.org>
Subject New sandbox project -- Apache Commons (Portable) Runtime
Date Sat, 04 Apr 2009 07:21:54 GMT
Hi all

This is not official project manifest, just few things
so I can gather info weather the project has any chance
to settle in the commons at the first place.

The project is completely different from other
commons projects, because it contains platform native
code beside java api.

The idea is to evolve the Tomcat Native to a
standalone component. It is used by Apache Tomcat
and Apache Mina projects, so we have two TLP
projects already using it.
And my plan is to use this component inside
daemons project for common platform tasks.

The java part will also have a special native
library dynamic runtime, allowing the native
module(s) to exist in the same jar and gets
extracted at runtime depending on the JVM platform
with all internal native dependencies resolved,
thus liberating the user from .dll hell.

So, thumbs up or down to pursue this, or do I
need to find a different settlement :)

Regards
--
^(TM)