commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [parent] updating plugins versions and configuration ?
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2009 01:55:51 GMT
On 29/04/2009, Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:42 AM,  <luc.maisonobe@free.fr> wrote:
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  > Trying to remove an annoying warning from maven, I noticed that commons-parent
11 now uses old versions and deprecated configuration for some plugins.
>  >
>  > The things I noticed are the following ones:
>  >
>  > version changes:
>  >  maven-gpg-plugin                  1.0-alpha-4
>  >  maven-install-plugin              2.3
>  >  maven-source-plugin               2.1
>  >  maven-assembly-plugin             2.2-beta-3
>  >  maven-release-plugin              2.0-beta-9
>  >  maven-antrun-plugin               1.3
>  >  maven-bundle-plugin               2.0.0
>  >  maven-project-info-reports-plugin 2.1.1
>  >  maven-site-plugin                 2.0-beta-7
>  >  jdepend-maven-plugin              2.0-beta-2
>  >
>  > versions and configuration changes:
>  >  maven-javadoc-plugin              2.5
>  >  (and <aggregate>false</aggregate> should be removed)
>  >
>  > proposed additional plugins:
>  >  maven-changes-plugin              2.1
>  >  cobertura-maven-plugin            2.2
>  >  clirr-maven-plugin                2.2.2
>  >  findbugs-maven-plugin             2.1
>  >  maven-pmd-plugin                  2.4
>  >  maven-checkstyle-plugin           2.2
>  >  (and change headerFile into headerLocation for the components which already use
it)
>  >
>  > What about updating commons-parent pom ?
>  >

> <snip/>
>
>  Good to move to latest releases except where latest releases are buggy
>  in a manner that affects us :-) I'd suggest upgrading in the parent
>  snapshot, making a call for volunteers to try the parent snapshot,
>  leaving it out for a couple of weeks and then calling a vote (I'll try
>  to build with the snap parent if you give me a few days).

Might also be worth adding the encoding properties to avoid problems
with using the default from the build host. The encoding for Java
files is already specified; we just need to define the encoding for
the copy actions, e.g.

    <project.reporting.outputEncoding>UTF-8</project.reporting.outputEncoding>

Or perhaps iso-8859-1?

Also, <inceptionYear> is currently defined as 2001.
It seems to me that tag should be omitted.
If it is required syntactically, then it should be set to something
non-sensical so it's obvious when the child project has forgotten to
define it.