commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: commons-logging unsuited for cross-context webapplication invocation usage - migrating to slf4j?
Date Tue, 21 Apr 2009 15:01:34 GMT
On 21/04/2009, Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
>  > They both allow the implementation
>  > to be chosen when you package your application - without recompliling
>  > anything.
>

> The last time we had that discussion, this has been denied. If there
>  is new information, I'd like to listen.

Well, the SLF4J website specifically says it is not necessary to recompile:

http://www.slf4j.org/manual.html#swapping

i.e. SLF4J chooses the logging implementation based in which logging
implementation it finds on the classpath; there must be only one such.

I'm not saying SLF4J is better or worse than CL, but they both allow
the implementation to be configured without recompilation.