commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Configuration] Building
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2009 07:00:08 GMT
On 01/04/2009, James Carman <james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Ralph Goers
>  <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>  > I've been reviewing the site documentation and wanted to update the
>  > documentation to talk about running the Webdav test. But the building page
>  > says that Maven 1.x is the preferred build tool and that ant can also be
>  > used. Yet I've done all my builds with Maven 2 and the webdav test was only
>  > set up for that.
>  >
>  > Do we really need to support Ant, Maven 1.x and Maven 2?
>

> In my opinion, no.  If our (Apache Commons) preferred method of
>  building is m2, then we stick with m2.  I do understand that some
>  folks don't like maven, but nothing is stopping them from generating
>  the build files themselves for the build system of their choosing
>  (maven can generate ant build files).  Also, most modern IDEs can
>  "understand" m2 pom.xml files just fine, so the argument that "I'm not
>  using maven" gets a bit weaker.

If the project supports Java 1.3, then IMO it should have a way of
building and testing on Java 1.3, in which case it needs something
else other than Maven 2 to build and test it. But this could be a
basic build file, without site generation.

BTW, the trunk POM has the following comment:

<!-- Lang should depend on very little -->

followed by lots of dependencies!

Also, the compiler source and target versions are not mentioned, so it
will default to 1.3, I think, which is probably not true any more? If
you are now targetting 1.4, JUnit 3.8.2 would be better.