commons-dev mailing list archives

From luc.maison...@free.fr
Subject Re: [sanselan] Next steps
Date Tue, 28 Apr 2009 07:59:01 GMT

----- "Phil Steitz" <phil.steitz@gmail.com> a écrit :

> We have voted to accept sanselan as a commons component [1].
> Welcome!
>
> We now need to settle the administrative questions raised in [2]:
>
> 2. Most commons components have a "functional" name instead of a "fun"
>
> name. Would Sanselan need to be renamed, e.g. Commons Image, or would
> it
> be ok to have the sub-project called Sanselan, or Commons Sanselan?
>
> My preference would be to adopt a functional name.  We used to have
> this
> documented as a policy, but that seems to vanished from the web pages,
>
> so it is possible that we made a conscious decision that I just
> personally forgot about to eliminate this policy.  If others - most
> importantly, the Sanselan community - feel strongly about not changing
>
> the name, I am OK with it.  It makes it easier for people to find
> their
> way through our components, however, if their names are descriptive.

-1 to changing names. Names are part of the social link that build communities, changing them
would appear to me as if we were stealing the project from both its promoters and users. All
the work done on having a brand known would be lost.

> Personally, I feel the same way about TLPs, but that is a separate
> topic.
>
> 3. Would any changes be required from the existing packaging of
> Sanselan? For example, packages are named org.apache.sanselan. Would
> these need to be renamed to org.apache.commons.sanselan (or less fun
> name as above)?
>
> My preference would be o.a.c.x, where x is the new functional name.
> Repackaging provides an opportunity to revise the name.

+1 to repackaging, this is only technical and makes sense. Given my preference from previous
item, this would mean org.apache.commons.sanselan

Luc