commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [Configuration] experimental branch uses java.util.logging?
Date Wed, 15 Apr 2009 10:37:05 GMT

On Apr 15, 2009, at 1:51 AM, Torsten Curdt wrote:

>> I think Ceki's comment at the end is quite pertinent. But in the
>> end, my
>> reaction to that article is pretty much, "I'd love to see a real
>> world
>> example of someone doing that". I doubt you'll find many.
>
> Some people argue that logging itself can be evil because logging too
> much almost hides information. I will not go there but I guess it
> heavily depends how you use logging in the first place.
>
> I was involved in a project where debug logging was activated through
> an aspect. Everything else was essentially error logging. For the
> libraries we used a very simple facade that came with the project. So
> no dependency at all. The actual main project implemented the facade
> and forwarded to the appropriate logging system. Very simple. Using
> the aspect we could easily pick the right class/package and the method
> calls in there. Of course this cannot give you back a debug log in
> retrospect. But I was surprised how well this worked.
>
> Anyway ...enough logging chit-chat :)

Yes. AOP that actually works is the nirvana that folks who love to
talk about logging dream about.

 From what I can gather from this conversation:
a) This is important to only a small group of us.
b) No one is against having CC switch back to Commons Logging.
c) Some are very much against using a facade other than Commons
Logging, for whatever reason.

Ralph