commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r759472 - in /commons/proper/compress/trunk/src/site: site.xml xdoc/examples.xml xdoc/index.xml xdoc/zip.xml
Date Mon, 30 Mar 2009 03:59:27 GMT
On 2009-03-28, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 28/03/2009, Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 2009-03-28, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I thought the idea was that the ArchiveInputStreams would not allow
>>> one to read past the end of the entry, so one can just read until
>>> read() returns -1?

>>  I don't think AR is the only archiver that does not return -1 once you
>>  read past the end of the current entry, nor am I convinced that it is
>>  a good idea to expect the streams to do so.

> I thought that was the main idea of the archive input stream.
> IMO, it makes using the classes much easier.

It probably does.  If this is the intended behaviour, we should
document it properly.  Ideally at the ArchiveInputStream level.

>>  BTW, while catching up with mail I saw a lot of discussion going on
>>  inside JIRA instead of on the dev list.  This may be a project
>>  cultural thing, but to me JIRA is not the correct place for that.

> I tend to agree, but it can be useful.

> I've seen JIRA issues that have almost no information and so are hard
> to follow; probably there was other information on the mailing list,
> but if it's not referenced from the JIRA it can be hard to find later.

Personally I prefer to have the JIRA entry point to the mailing list
archive of the dev list in such a case.  Not everybody who might be
innterested in the discussion may be subscribed to the issues list.

Stefan