commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r760000 - in /commons/proper/compress/trunk/src: main/java/org/apache/commons/compress/archivers/ar/ArArchiveOutputStream.java test/java/org/apache/commons/compress/archivers/ArTestCase.java
Date Tue, 31 Mar 2009 09:03:18 GMT
On 2009-03-30, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30/03/2009, Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 2009-03-30, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Might it not be better to throw an Exception if methods are called out
>>> of sequence?

>> We are pretty inconsistent here.  In general I agree it would be
>>  better to throw an exception, but we seem to swallow other errors in
>>  other classes.

> In that case, why don't we fix the other classes?

I took the fact that we are inconsistent as a hint that we don't know
what we want to do.  It could as well mean that we've just pulled
together implementations with different ideas from three sources and
haven't thought about making them consistent so far 8-)

> If we document the required behaviour (e.g. in the abstract i/o
> classes), then we can work towards making the code consistent.

No problem with that.

BTW, please add yourself as a comitter to the POM, you've by now
contributed more than enough to be listed there.

Stefan